Wales is an ancient land, the origins of its people and language go back civilizations – some believe even before the pyramids were built in Egypt 1500 years ago!
The Welsh language has been in daily use for centuries; it is the oldest known language and although it is widely spoken and used, everyone speaks English.
Local History Timeline
(There are probably quite a few dates missed out from this timeline. It will be constantly updated as and when information is received.)
6th Century Meldien founded, dedicated to Melyd, probably Brythonic name of Mellitus, Bishop of London, said by legend to be “noble by birth and nobler in mind.”
1086 The reference in Domesday Book – ibi est ecclesia – applied to “Prestetone and Ruestock,” is taken to apply to the church, although Gallt Melyd (or Meliden) have not been bourne the same name of “Ruestock” in any other known record.
1164-(1167) Prestatyn Motte & Bailey Castle built (and fell).
1241-(1248) Dyserth Castle built – Henry III “castle hopping” campaign.1263 Dyserth Castle fell to Welsh force under Llewelyn ap Gruffudd.
1276 First war of Welsh Independence.
1282 Second war of Welsh Independence.
1282 Llywelyn II is killed in battle and Wales resurgence comes to an end. Wales falls beneath Edward the First’s advances. Wales becomes an English principality under the Statute of Rhuddlan. In the future, the eldest son of the English king is designated Prince of Wales. The building of the *Edwardian* castles in Wales is started by Edward I.
1284 Flint and Rhuddlan became chartered boroughs. Englishmen were encouraged to come and settle by giving them large grants of lands, taken from the conquered Welsh lords. No Welshmen were allowed to claim any privilege or to own any property, a ruling bitterly resented by the Welsh.
1831 Meliden population was 720
1843 Meliden School built ‘Ysgol y Miners’ – built of sandstone from Gwespyr (and stone from Tan-yr-Allt Quarry?).
1844-1879 Rev. Edward Hughes – Vicar of Meliden.
1856 Talargoch Miners strike. Lead miners were described as “sober and quietly disposed” when troops were sent to the mine during the strike there.
1857 First police constable, Maurice Jones, 5 Swan Cottages.
1862 “The Rest” Public House and Station Master dwelling built.
1869 Prestatyn Dyserth railway opened mainly for use by the Talargoch mines to transport Lead, Iron, Barium and Limestone.
1880-(1884) Clive Engine House built. Steam engine for mine pumping and winding purposes.
1881 Melyd Church restoration for 5 years.
1884 Pochin starts work on Dyserth and Trelawnyd line – to no avail!
1884 Meliden population approx. 1500.
1884 Talargoch mine closure.
1880’s Slump – Shops, Public Houses closedown. Many empty abandoned properties in Meliden.
1881-1907 Rev. E.O. Williams – Vicar of Meliden.
1886-1887 Bronze age Neolithic buried remains excavated at ‘Gop Hill’ Trelawnyd, of 14 people.
1891 Census Dyserth – Welsh speakers 428, English only 26, and both 236.
1896 Prestatyn became an Urban District.
1901 Meliden population was only 478.
1903-(1931) Dyserth Castle Quarry commenced.
1904 Development of Prestatyn (H.D. Pochin).
1905 Passenger service began on the Prestatyn Dyserth railway line.
1907 Rev. David Griffiths – Vicar of Meliden.
1911 Prestatyn and Dyserth Field Club formed.
1914-1918 WW1 – 85 men from Meliden enlisted, 10 died. Plaque in Church.
1916 Remains of Dyserth Castle tumbled into the quarry.
1923 St. Melyd Golf course opened.
1924 A slate slab inscribed with Roman lettering was found in the High
Street in Prestatyn and now resides in Prestatyn Museum. The stone is
catalogued in the R.I.B. and reads simply CXXXI “One-hundred and
thirty-one.” (RIB 444).
1930 Last passenger train ran on the Prestatyn Dyserth railway line.
1957 Meliden Railway goods yard closed.
1966 Mock railway disaster exercise ‘Dyserth’.
1972 Traffic on the Prestatyn Dyserth railway discontinued.
The Manor of Meliden
The Manor of Meliden comprises of the former Parish of Meliden, Prestatyn and a small part of Diserth in the county of Denbighshire North Wales.
The Manor lies within the ancient cantref (a Hundred can Townships tref) of Tegeingl a name derived from Deceangli a tribe mentioned by the Roman historian Tacitus in the first century. The remains of a Roman Bath House has been discovered and restored in the village. The earliest record of Meliden is to be found in the Doomsday Book 1086. The parish church is called St. Melyd’s and named after Mellitus, later St. Melyd, an abbot of Rome who was sent with Justus and others to England in 601 to assist St Augustine in his mission. He is cited by most historians to be the first Bishop of London consecrated by St. Augustine of Canterbury in 604 AD. St. Melyd’s day is May 9th. Parts of the church walls date back to the 13th Century and is the only church in Wales to be dedicated to the saint. St. Melyd’s Well may have been a place of early pilgrimage.