Community

Education in Meliden

Ysgol Melyd

Happiness Leads to Success - Gyda Hapusrwydd daw Llwyddiant

Ysgol MelydYsgol Melyd
Primary School
Headteacher: Miss L Evans
Ffordd Pennant, Meliden, Denbighshire, LL19 8PE
Tel.: (01745) 852782 or visit www.ysgolmelyd.co.uk

Tiny TotsTiny Tots Day Nursery & Out of School Club
Just on the outskirts of Meliden but well worth a mention!
Tiny Tots is a preschool day nursery with an out of school unit within the grounds, providing quality care to children and babies of all ages. Tiny Tots also runs an out of school facility within Trelawnyd VA School.
106 Meliden Road, Prestatyn, Denbighshire LL19 8RL
Tel.: (01745) 856683 or visit www.tinytotsprestatyn.co.uk

Religion – Places of Worship in Meliden

St Melyd Parish Church
Meliden Road, Meliden; Tel.: (01745) 856220
8.00am, 11.00am and 6.00pm
Family Service every 4th Sunday

St. Melyd Church entrance

St. Melyd Church

Meliden is one of the ancient parishes of Flintshire. The parish originally comprised the townships of Meliden, Prestatyn and Nant; but Prestatyn and Nant were lost to the new parish of Prestatyn in 1860.
The earliest recorded reference is said to be in the “Lincoln Taxation” of 1291, and some parts of the church fabric are believed to date from the thirteenth century. The building was extensively restored in 1884.
The church was in Flintshire until 1974; and in Clwyd from 1974 until 1996.
It is now in “new” Denbighshire.

St. Melyd ChurchSt. Melyd Church

Gallery OldeOLD GALLERY
St Melyd Church – Click here

Seion Welsh Presbyterian Chapel
Erected in 1860 through the contributions of the people and miners of Meliden. Demolished in 1993. Housing flatlets were built in its place. The site is on the corner at the bottom of Ffordd Tanrallt.

Seion Chapel Plaque

In this old picture of Meliden we can see Seion Chapel (centre) from near the Miners Arms looking towards Graig Fawr. To the left is the mine waste (Smyddan) from Cae Llys. In the background, on the skyline a chimney at Talargoch can just about be made out.

Seion Chapel old

Wesleyan Chapel
As a result of the overall deteriation the Wesleyan Chapel which dates from 1860 was closed in 1925 when a new larger Chapel (Salem) was opened a short distance to the north.

Wesleyan Chapel 1905

Photographed here in 1905, the building was in use as shops since and is now a residential dwelling. Barely visible on the extreme right is part of the group of cottages which once existed below the chapel. The forground is now the Garden of Remembrance and village recreation ground.

Salem Chapel (Methodist Church)
The Reverend D.R. Thomas addresses the assembled gathering at the ceremony of laying the foundation stone for the new Salem Chapel in 1923. The chapel was actally completed and opened in July 1925. The cottages beyond are part of Mount Pleasant terrace, being typical miners’ cottages.

Salem Chapel Ceremony

Salem Church

GallerySEE other Churches of interest in the local area:
Dyserth, Trelawnyd, Gwaenysgor

 

Masonic Hall MelidenMeliden Community Buildings

Masonic Hall (Old School)
This was previously the Old Meliden National School building erected in 1842 to serve the local children of the mining community.
Information will be updated shortly…

Meliden Community Centre & SurgeryCommunity Centre & Surgery
Information will be updated shortly…

Meliden Action Group

W.M.R.A – West Meliden Residents Association
Information will be updated shortly…

Garden of RemembranceRecreation Grounds

Garden of Remembrance
Small childrens play area and recreation field with War Memorial at base of steps.

Cae Llys GardensCae Llys Senior Citizens Housing
This area used to be covered in ‘Smyddan’ mine waste during the time of the Talargoch Mine.
It was developed into Senior Citizen housing with a large public garden.

Clubs

Details of clubs will be posted here…

Events

Events will be posted here and on the events calendar…

Leave a Reply