Dyserth – St Bridget Church
Dyserth is one of the “ancient parishes” of Flintshire, comprising the townships of Dyserth, Llewerllyd, Rhyd and Trecastell.
The church has had two different dedications – formerly to St. Cwyfan, whose cross stands on the border of the parish with Whitford; and currently to St. Bridget (or St. Ffraid). The church was mentioned in the Domesday book.
The church had become very dilapidated, and was extensively restored/rebuilt by Sir Gilbert Scott betwen 1873 and 1875.
The church was in Flintshire until 1974; and in Clwyd from 1974 until 1996. It is now in “new” Denbighshire.
The Jesse window at the east end of the church is said to be one of the finest examples of Medieval stained glass in North Wales. In the churchyard there are a number of very interesting graves, including a group of seventeenth century tomb-chests and table tombs.
Trelawnyd – Church of St Michael
Trelawnyd is one of the “ancient parishes” of Flintshire. It was originally part of the parish of Dyserth, and appears to have become a separate parish some time between 1254 and 1291. It comprises four townships – Gop, Graig, Pentreffyddion and Rhydlyfnwyd.
The name “Newmarket”, now discontinued, dates back to 1700, in which year John Wynne obtained a faculty from the Bishop’s Registry to change the name. John Wynne had already rebuilt most of the village, established several branches of industry, and set up a weekly market and an annual fair. The village (and parish) continued to be called Newmarket until 1954, when it was officially renamed as Trelawnyd.
The church was rebuilt in 1724, and restored between 1895 and 1897.
The church was in Flintshire until 1974; and in Clwyd from 1974 until 1996.
It is now in “new” Flintshire.
Gwaenysgor – Church of St Mary Magdalene
Gwaenysgor is one of the “ancient parishes” of Flintshire. Its two townships of Gwaenysgor and Carnychan are both mentioned in the Domesday Book.
The Domesday Book entry for the village mentions a ‘ruined church’. By 1254, the church had been rebuilt, and was valued at twenty shillings. The church was repaired in 1845. There were further repairs in 1892 (re-opening on 9 October 1892); and during the 1930s.
The church was in Flintshire until 1974; and in Clwyd from 1974 until 1996. It is now in “new” Flintshire.